#1 Best Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie Recipe (made in 1 hour)
When you put together these two terms “cinnamon roll” and “apple pie” you can’t go wrong. It is obvious that the resulting cinnamon roll apple pie bake will be no more and no less than delicious. For someone who loves apple pie and using cinnamon in every single dish possible, this recipe is something heavenly.
Mixing cinnamon, sugar and butter together will develop into something at least 90% of the world population will enjoy. Maybe more! A cinnamon roll is a sweet pastry which is supposed to be enjoyed for breakfast. But don’t let anyone tell you when to pamper yourself with a cinnamon bun. This can happen in the morning, at noon or in the evening.
These delicious rolls are not some late inventions, they date back many years in history. It is said that the first cinnamon bun was baked in Sweden. They are also known as “kanelbulle”. Literally, this means “cinnamon bun”.
There are some differences between the cinnamon rolls from Sweden and the ones from United States. The Swedish rolls are not as heavy and sweet as in America. The dough is made with a hint of cardamom and the rolls are baked in muffin wrappers, making them a more graceful treat.
The most popular cinnamon rolls in the United States are Philadelphia style and were first baked in the 18th century. They contain cinnamon, sugar, raisins and honey.
Facts about the cinnamon rolls
Although most evidence shows that the Sweden is the origin country of cinnamon rolls, it is obvious that there is still a debate over the place these goodies were born. However, it doesn’t really matter to know it for sure, the only important thing is that they are simply divine.
There is a National Cinnamon Bun Day in Sweden and it’s celebrated on October 4th. This celebration started in 1999 but the roll became very popular beginning with the 1950s.
You should also know that a typical Swede consumes no more no less than an average of 316 rolls every year, almost one each day. This is quite a statistic. So each inhabitant of Sweden enjoys this treat every day, all year long. And they don’t seem to have so many problems with the obesity rate.
The Scandi cinnamon buns are not topped with any icing. Norwegian people sprinkle granulated sugar while Swedes top their rolls with pearl sugar, some big sugar crystals.
Since these treats are a staple of Scandinavian food culture, it is obvious that there are a lot of cinnamon bun competitions which are held every year in Norway and the other countries. People take these competitions very seriously and even vote for the best cinnamon bun.
As perfect as it is, cinnamon bun has known a lot of adjustments during time. Except for the icing in some countries, you will find a lot of additions like raisins, chocolate or even bacon. I believe I’m not willing to try something that contains cinnamon and bacon at the same time but if you find yourselves a bit more adventurous than me definitely give it a try.
But there is something which goes perfect with cinnamon: apples. Apples and cinnamon make my mouth water every time I think about this combination. So I’m guessing that an apple pie with cinnamon roll crust will be just perfect.
How to make a cinnamon roll apple pie?
You will have to make a cinnamon roll and some apple pie topping and here you go, you will have a tasty cinnamon roll apple pie. I’m just kidding! Well, not totally, these are the steps. But I will explain you in detail how to create the whole dessert.
There is the option of buying already made cinnamon rolls. This is great in case you are in a hurry and just want to enjoy a cinnamon roll apple bake quicker.
Store-bought rolls are great for quick recipes such as cinnamon roll apple pie cups. For this recipe, you will need to separate the cinnamon rolls existing in the package. Flatten every roll with a rolling pin and press it against the walls of a muffin cup. Prepare the apple pie filling and add it to the cups. Bake for about 15 minutes and you will get some delicious cinnamon roll apple pie cups.
There is also the possibility of using the store-bought rolls for a cinnamon roll apple pie bake. To prepare the crust, cut each roll into halves. Sprinkle some flour and roll out until thin. Place half of the flattened rolls on the bottom of the baking dish to create a crust. Cover with the apple filling. Add the rest of the rolls to create to top crust. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, depending on your oven.
However, I prefer making my own cinnamon rolls from scratch. Classic buns use yeast to raise the dough. In case we want to prepare them to use as crust for cinnamon roll apple pie bake, yeast isn’t useful as it makes the dough become fluffy and rise a lot. I used only a bit of baking powder.
Here’s what ingredients you will need to prepare the cinnamon rolls from scratch:
I like my pie as it is but if you want any apple pie topping you may prepare a cream cheese frosting or a simple icing with milk and confectioner’s sugar.
How to make an apple pie with cinnamon roll crust?
We will start with the crust. It is basically a cookie dough.
After making it, we’ll divide the dough into two equal halves. Use a rolling pin to roll each half into a rectangle of about 9x7 inches. You might want to have a ruler aside so you will make the rectangles approximately equal.
Prepare the cinnamon filling by mixing cinnamon with sugar. Brush the rectangles with melted butter and spread the filling on each inch of the dough. And here comes a bit harder part: you will need to roll tightly the rectangles into logs. It would be easier to use a silicone baking mat to roll and make the logs because it is less probable that the dough will stick to that surface. A well-floured piece of parchment paper will work as well.
These logs will need to be refrigerated for at least two hours so the butter will harden a bit.
Meanwhile, you may prepare the filling: peel and slice 3 apples, cut them into thin slices and place in a bowl. Drizzle some melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar. Set aside so the flavors can mix.
After at least two hours, we will take them out of the fridge and cut into ¼ - ½ inch thick slices. Butter a round baking dish. Arrange half of the slices on the bottom of the dish. Add the filling and then top with the remaining cinnamon roll slices. This step can be done a little bit differently if you prefer: you may roll the slices a bit so they become thinner. I skipped the rolling because I could arrange them in a nice way (in my opinion, of course) which didn’t affect either the look of the apple pie with cinnamon roll crust nor the quality of the crust. It was just as thick and crunchy as it should be.
We will also brush the pie with a little bit of beaten egg so it would look amazing when it gets out of the oven.
How long do I bake a cinnamon roll apple pie?
The pie will be transferred in the preheated oven and baked for about 35 minutes at 350F until the top crust becomes golden.
In case you desire an apple pie topping, I would go for the cream cheese frosting. Whisk some cream cheese with a bit of soft butter and one tablespoon of sugar. Pipe this mixture over the pie and enjoy!
- ¾ cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
For the cinnamon filling
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
For the apple filling
- 3 apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
For the egg wash
- 1 small egg, well beaten
- In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix the butter on high speed until creamy. This will take about 1 minute. Add the sugar and mix again on medium speed for about 2 minutes, until completely incorporated and smooth. Bring in the vanilla extract and egg. Keep mixing until everything is combined, for 1 minute.
- Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed. You will get a thick dough which will be ready to roll. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts.
- Whisk together the sugar and cinnamon for the cinnamon filling.
- Line the working surface with a silicone mat or a piece of parchment paper. Flour it well. Roll each half into a 9x7’’ rectangle. Brush each rectangle with 1 tablespoon of melted butter and spread half of the cinnamon mixture.
- Slowly begin to roll up the rectangles to create two logs. If you see cracks, smooth them with your fingers. Wrap the logs tightly in plastic foil and take them to the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the apple filling. Slice the apples, drizzle the melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a baking dish with a bit of butter and set aside.
- Cut the logs into slices and arrange half of them on the bottom of the dish, making sure you place them stuck to one another. Add the filling and top with the remaining rolls.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top crust becomes golden.
- Allow to chill before cutting it.
- It doesn’t matter if you use apple pie topping or not, the pie remains delicious and very well-looking.
- It is possible to make the dough logs ahead of time. They will last in the refrigerator for up to three days and in the freezer for up to three months.
- Enjoy your morning coffee with a slice of this delicious cinnamon roll apple pie bake or serve it as a dessert.
- Whether you are making cinnamon roll apple pie cups or pie, the end result will be tasty and fulfilling.