Thick & Chewy Homemade Rice Krispie Squares Treats in 5 Minutes
This rice krispie treats recipe is easy to make and everybody in the house will be delighted to enjoy this dessert. From time to time, you can even use the bars as breakfast cereal.
- 11 cups (two 10 oz. bags) mini marshmallows
- ¾ cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter
- 9 cups crispy rice cereal
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Take a 9’’x13’’ baking tray and line it with parchment paper. Grease the paper with a little bit of oil or non-stick spray. Set aside until you prepare the mixture.
Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat. Bring in the marshmallows and stir until everything is completely melted and combined.
Take the pot away from heat and add the salt and vanilla. Stir again.
Add the cereal and stir gently to coat every little piece with the marshmallow mixture.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared tray. Grease a spatula and use it to gently spread the batter on the bottom of the tray. Lightly press the mixture to even and flatten it. Make sure you don’t use force so your treats will remain fluffy and aerated. Otherwise, the mixture may harden and the treats won’t get the desired texture.
Leave the tray at room temperature for the mixture to set. Supposing you are in a hurry and want to cut the bars earlier, place the pan in the fridge for one hour. Alternatively, just let the mixture set at room temperature for at least two hours and up to one day. If leaving it for more than a few hours, cover with cling film.
Take the homemade rice crispy out of the tray by lifting the edges of the parchment paper. Cut into equal squares and enjoy.
- These rice krispie treats are perfect as a snack for Halloween or Thanksgiving, especially when shaped like pumpkins or candy corn.
- When handling them, no matter if you are cutting the mixture into squares or shaping anything, don’t forget to grease the spatula, cutter and even your hands. Even though the mixture is set, it can always become sticky and you will ruin the desired shape.
- This treat is pretty sweet due to the marshmallows, so I don’t recommend eating too many squares. One tiny bar has about 140 calories which is pretty much. I know they are delicious but make sure you enjoy the treats in a responsible way so that they will fit your nutritional plan. The same advice goes for the kids too. We all know that too much sugar can make them become agitated not to mention the other risks like damaging their teeth, for example.
- All in all, give this recipe a chance and enjoy!
Calories: 137kcal | Carbohydrates: 16.8g | Protein: 0.8g | Fat: 7.7g